Thursday, October 7, 2010

HATERADE: SHORT BARZ

Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that short barz are the hottest new trend for newcomers in the 'fixie scene' in Austin.

When I bought my first track bike, I had a pair of short cut bars, that we're quickly dismounted and replaced, for a set slightly narrower than my shoulder width. This week, I got a new pair that is slightly wider than shoulder width, and I don't think I'm ever returning to the dark side.



WHEN DID THIS UNSPOKEN CONTEST TO SEE WHO CAN RIDE WITH THE SHORTEST KNUBS ARISE?

Short bars only make your bike look somewhat 'customized.'

When riding with bars shorter than shoulder width, you are at a mechanical disadvantage when it comes to steering, climbs and hops (if that's your cup of tea).

Standing up to climb hills with short bars looks more awkward than Michael Cera farting in a room full of sex deprived sorority girls.

Now, if you think the short bars are the bee's knees in fixed freestyle, you are terribly mistaken.

Control over your bike, bunny hop heights and sliders are next to impossible on short bars. It is simply physically challenging due to the lack of leverage. Your bars may not hit your knees on bar spins, but that brings me to my next point:



650c wheels went out of style faster than the rise of Republic Bikes.

In 2008, 650c wheels could exceed $200 on eBay.

Now, you can find carbon fiber HED 650 wheels for less than $130. After 11 bids.

SO:

1) Make sure your bars are at least shoulder width
2) Don't buy 650c wheels (unless you have a pursuit bike)
3) If you want to bar spin, most frames can spin 700c wheels nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment